About the Department
The Department of Pharmaceuticals was created on the 1st of July in the year 2008 in the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers with the objective to give greater focus and thrust on the development of pharmaceutical sector in the country and to regulate various complex issues related to pricing and availability of medicines at affordable prices, research & development, protection of intellectual property rights and international commitments related to pharmaceutical sector which required integration of work with other Ministries.
To make India the Largest Global Provider of Quality Medicines at Reasonable Prices.
- Ensure availability of quality drugs at reasonable prices as per the Pharma Policy
- Ensure availability of quality drugs at reasonable prices as per the Pharma Policy.
- Promote Pharma Brand India.
- Encourage environmentally sustainable development of Pharmaceutical Industry
- To establish NIPERs as nationally and internationally recognized brand in the field of education and research of pharmaceutical sciences for the benefit of human kind.
- Citizens of India
- Pharmaceuticals Industry including Small and Medium Enterprises
- Pharmaceuticals companies seeking relief under DPCOs
- NPPA/ CPSUs/NIPERs
- To provide impartial, sympathetic and prompt services to the public in matters relating to the pharmaceuticals industries
- To take prompt steps to provide quick redressal of the grievances of our personnel and public at large.
- To formulate policies and initiate consultations with all Industry Associations/stakeholders and to amend them whenever so required.
To formulate and implement policies relating to drugs and pharmaceuticals, dyestuff and dye intermediates.
- Ensure availability of drugs at reasonable prices as per provisions of the Drug Prices Control Order 2013
- Ensure proper functioning of the Central Pharma Undertakings in control of the Department.
- Project Based Support and Revival Schemes for CPSUs
- Ensure proper management of M Pharma and Ph.D. programs in NIPERs
- Develop Human Resources, Infrastructure for Pharma R&D and Industry including Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP)
- Formulate Scheme/ Project for promoting Pharma Brand India
- Formulate Scheme/ Project for promoting environmentally sustainable development of Pharmaceutical Industry
- Formulation of Annual Plan, Budget and Monitoring of Budget Expenditure